Friday 1 February 2019

505b. Sat 20/10/18: The Bear Club, Luton

Beer: Rebel Brewing Company Surf Bum IPA 3.5%, Leighton Buzzard Restoration 4.6%

Third gig in as many nights. Maybe one gig too many. The Bear feels subdued. Lemn Sissay's in town, which may have taken one or two customers. Such a difference can be telling; there are a few empty seats, which is a bit of a shame. Have a very pleasant catch up with Justin and tell him how much better The Bear is than Ronnie Scott's, although I suspect that a) he knows, and b) there's no real comparison. I mean well, but should perhaps keep my wisdom to myself.

I'm knackered. I try a low strength beer. A false economy; the flavour eludes me so I neck the Rebel back and move onto Restoration. Henrik Jensen and his quartet take the stand. They are cool and measured. Not necessarily the right time and right place for me and my weary head. I find myself trying not to nod off, rather than nod along. I'd arranged and very pleased that SRW and AW (nee AT) are here, but am unable to give any good advice viz their planned 2019 rail excursion to Eastern Europe. I mutter vague warnings about the Belgrade to Sofia overnight train, though they're not planning, or aren't talking about either Serbia or Bulgaria.

Dirty chips in pitta on the way home.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment