Saturday 13 October 2018

485. Fri 21/9/18: The White House, Luton

Beer: Exmoor Gold 4.5%

Around 5:30pm, and I was planning on getting the bus from Park Square to Markyate, to go to The Local micropub – and from there, using the Centrebus service, to Dunstable and back to Luton. There’s a £4.10 day ticket – I’d seen it advertised (see #457). Bargain. But… no, the driver informs, I couldn’t do that trip on a day ticket… I might be able to do it on a “Hip hop” ticket, let’s have a look… no, Markyate’s out of range. The driver is helpful and accommodating, eager to find me a ticket – but in the end can only suggest three singles totaling over £9. I’m also conscious that the queue behind is eager to pass the obstacle to their getting homeward bound that I’ve become. I thank the driver for his assistance, and tell him I’ll be giving the trip a miss. Next time – a simple return to Markyate…

Back in Luton – I meander somewhat aimlessly, get a pasty at Don Millers, and wander on to the White House.

 

Read previous reports on fluctuating feelings on the Wetherspoon estate, and the JDWWH in particular. It’s typically post-work busy here now – there clearly are still folk working in Luton town centre… they’re probably all LBC.

The service is pretty unexceptional, the beer is reasonably good. It’s a one pint visit – until I dig into my bag and pull out Boak and Bailey’s Gambrinus Waltz, the story of the rise and fall of Bavarian and Bohemian lager beer in Blighty from the late nineteenth century until the outbreak of the Great War. It’s an essay rather than a book – but a decent read. The White House, I’d suggest, mostly ‘cause one is usually here on one’s own, is a decent reading pub.

Anyway, that means it becomes a three pint visit, which allows plenty of time to finish the pamphlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment