Friday 12 January 2018

151 Fri 18/8/17: The Bricklayers Arms, Luton

Beer: Brentwood Golden Ale 4.3%


There’s still a big wake crowd in the pub, but not nearly as packed as earlier on – and we go in. Katie Hopkins, her from the aforementioned late 80’s, is in with her cousin who is a Brickies regular (tentative nodding terms). Katie greets me “I was just talking about The Wedding Present the other day”, which is nice – slightly odd, though The Weddoes still dominate the indie pop genre on my ipod. On introducing us to her cousin I think I’m right in correcting her that she was, like me, a Thrilled Skinny “hanger on” rather than a groupie… I think I’m right; I’m not going to ask around. Anyway, it’s nice to see her – to see her nice. Bruce Forsyth sadly died this afternoon.

The Brickies is in mourning for someone much closer to home – someone we recognised, but didn’t know. It’s sad on a number of levels; if merely, from our own largely separated point of view, that another pillar of our local community has gone. Times change, but I’ve always loved this place where Al’s in charge – where Steve Dillon is at his stool at the bar – Doon at his… the fella they’re commemorating tonight likely close by (and us playing our own little bit parts in the back bar).

Tonight the Brickies, by quite a bit past eleven, is very pissed and I’m quite tired so I wander back up Hightown Road and to bed.

I forgot to take pictures of/on this visit: below is a point (vaguely) and shoot snap, taken from the other side of Hightown Road – possibly next to that vacant building previously occupied by the Noah Charity (they’re now next door to the Brickies, in the building previously occupied by the Welbeck Social Club).

No comments:

Post a Comment