Monday 19 March 2018

255 Wed 22/11/17: The Jolly Topers, Luton

Beer: Hardy & Hansons Rocking Rudolph 4.2%

I don’t know what people see in this pub, but see it they most certainly do; it’s an apparently humdrum Wednesday early evening, and the place is packed: lots of families with kids and DOGS. Dogs are great in pubs – they bring people together. Kids are fascinated by (other peoples’) dogs; owners and parents are compliant in a contract of trust (the kids won’t overly antagonise the dog – and the dog won’t bite the face off the kid), and relationships are made and maintained as a result. This is a fantastic community boozer… I don’t love it.

It’s a Baltistan post-order/pre-pickup visit so I sit, on my own. Nearby sits Gareth Owen (unlike me, he has company). He’s been Luton News football photographer for donkeys years… he may not be a fantastic photographer – I love his photography.

Are you one of those people who wish it could be Christmas everyday? Come to a pub like this anytime from November to January. The beer is perfectly acceptable, nothing special. What do you people see in this place?!

Pictures, my notes suggest, aren’t that good… I’ve had a little look, my notes look to be accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment