Friday 8 June 2018

299. Wed 7/2/18: The Frog & Rhubarb, Luton

Beer: Batemans Gold 3.9%
Trouble is, you see, although mindful that a few publess days during the week is a good thing – when my father suggests we meet in the boozer, it never seems a terrible idea. My change of gymnasia regime from March will sort that out…

In the meantime, Greene King are taking the allure off, after all the good things I’ve suggested lately, by a rather lacklustre midweek selection. It’s the above or GKIPA. There’s a Sharps beer clip on a pump – with one of those labels which says that the beer in conditioning in the cellar. That surely suggests at a lack of timing and/or enthusiasm. Anyway, though it’s not good news for the punter, there’s probably sound financial grounding in a hostelry trumpeting beers they cannot as yet provide.
The Batemans Gold is alright, bright and hoppy… if this was a Slip End session, I’d be looking to take it on to The Rizz – or even embark on that wander to the Working Mans’ Club which I keep thinking about. London Pride a standard, I’m led to believe.

Dad arrives eventually – my sister and niece in tow. Another pint is procured, and we’re treated to part/page one of The Scary Camping Story (what will become) a 500 word thriller. Risking spoilers; the girls in the story are excited, but Leah voices her concerns about bears. And beasts. My favourite character is the teacher, Miss Pam.

We sup up and, before Toad in the Hole part 2 (a relative triumph), we then start a “clearing some space in the loft” project.

No comments:

Post a Comment