Saturday 30 June 2018

375. Wed 21/3/18: The White House, Luton

Beer: Sambrooks Flat White Stout 4.5%

Has the JDWWH had a post refurb makeover since my last visit? It seems somehow more warming and welcoming than usual. Maybe it’s just the unusually quiet and polite clientele at 05:30pm on a Wednesday.

The beer is delicious.

The tranquil mood is bludgeoned as Darren, a fellow we’ve known for thirty odd years arrives, and exuberantly takes us back to yesteryear: tales of acquaintances I’m not entirely sure we shared (“no… I’m sure I’d recognise him/her if I saw him/her”). Crazy days (NB: they weren’t that crazy, not for me). Darren’s still crazy. I’ve not changed in 25 years, he lies. He’s still in skinny fit jeans – and looking amazing.

Darren’s a force of nature, and his appearance smashes the air of quietly whimsical contemplation I try to maintain on the solo sneaky pint. He’s a lovely fella but, bloody hell…

On my way out Darren suggests we go out one night – “just you and me. We’ll f***ing smash it”. I’m naturally flattered/scared/confused/struck by awe and star.

No comments:

Post a Comment