Tuesday 1 January 2019

298. Sat 3/2/18: The Bricklayers Arms, Luton

Beer: Shefford Plum Mild 3.8%

LUTON TOWN 1 EXETER CITY 0

The Six Nations rugby has started and the rugger buggers have the back bar (its only France v Ireland, so there aren’t too many of them). I grudgingly appreciate the rugby fans down the pub – their presence does change the atmosphere in the place, and not entirely detrimentally. Despite the apparent neanderthal nature of the game, those showing an interest seem largely better mannered than your average football fan.

Anyway, despite their being here, the pub doesn’t seem as packed as normal (though it’s standing room only).

The Hegleys are in – and I have my book to swap with John (he’s forgotten mine). Marcel and Paul are stood by the stairs (we’re at the back bar), and John starts reciting some of the haiku to them. Almost immediately he finds one with a four syllable opening line – so I correct his copy by inserting the word “big”*.

John goes on to find: a haiku that mentions him (which I wincingly suggest has a whiff of toadying about it) and a haiku he particularly likes. I wish I could have taped his reciting my “poetry” to his (increasingly bemused/irritated) family members.

Town win, and I get an ego massage to boot. Good day.



* we’re happy to provide this service to owners of Luton Haiku v5 but, on the off chance that we’re not around, please add the word yourself – the offending haiku is the one about the man who threw a pie at an opening match of the football season (so it’ll be sometime in August).

No comments:

Post a Comment