Saturday 21 April 2018

154 Thu 24/8/17: The Bear Club, Luton

Beer: Leighton Buzzard Brewery Restoration 4.6%

They don’t need my turning up at Slow Night – it’s quite packed, albeit, its suggested, by some work party. Good for them. On the DJ table (my Ipod shuffle play isn’t required tonight), sits the proof copy of Luton Haiku v5. The cover is one of the photographs I took at the football ground in June. Ramshackle mess. As with the picture of the car bonnet (v3), the back cover is far more aesthetically pleasing than the front.

Beer goes down nicely, and all is going swell until the South Beds chapter of CAMRA turn up and start tearing the place down. Not really. No draught beer though – why are they here? Mike from CAMRA is an affable soul and comes over to say hello. He mentions something about the live entertainment at the Beer Fest’ in February; I’m not sure if he wanted The Knockouts or not (I’m thinking possibly not). We tell him that Helen and Ricky’s lot were fantastic this year – and that the diehards will always demand Cerberus.

CAMRA are here ‘cause they always come here on their Luton socials. It is one of the best places in town for beer… trendy beer, mind (too zeightghastly for me). I wonder if Justin would consider dabbling in draught, I presume not. Anyway, whatever, the fact that CAMRA come here routinely surely suggests at the rubbish choice of pubs in Luton – something that has become an acute bugbear, especially since last Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment