Thursday 5 April 2018

296 Fri 2/2/18: The Jolly Topers, Luton

Beer: Leighton Buzzard Brewery Rebel Yell 5.0%

Post dental check-up (Stopsley Village practice) and, having decided against a trip to The Bear later, stop for a couple at the JTs. Actually this visit, on the walk back to High Town, was in the balance before I peered into the pub and saw A) unimpeded access to the bar (the Topers tends to get very packed, very early) and B) at the bar they were serving LB Rebel Yell.

Having bought a pint, where to stand – preferably sit – became an issue. Access to the quiz machine – very much impeded. The pub, typically, seems to be standing room only – and those few tables that weren’t in use had “Reserved” signs. Helpfully, however, on closer inspection, those reserved notices had a “vacate by” time on them. Fantastic idea – common in Czech, but I’ve never previously seen it in Round Green.

So now I had a seat, and it then appeared that the bar service has also gained an Iberian twist. No gratis tapas, of course, but having bought a second pint I seem to have been issued a dog.

Pleasant little scamp – belonging to a young bloke on the table behind. Frankly he/she appeared interested in anyone who’d who show him/her attention – I apparently did a good little stroking stint, and he/she sat at my feet for a minute or two. Charming.

The atmosphere in the Topers is typically loud and convivial, and table space becomes an ever pressing issue as I’m finishing up. A party, who had reserved a table, dislodge a family – and I offer my table to them. They appear to be leaving anyway, but are profuse in their gratitude – as are the ladies who, when I do get up to leave, hurriedly descend on the table… which is reserved, by Charlotte, in a little less than an hour.

Great local pub… great locals, apparently. I’m also noticing an improving range of beer available at Greene King pubs – providing very decent alternative to their awful IPA and Abbott.

No comments:

Post a Comment